The Department of Orthopaedics in Manipal Academy of Higher Education is the department that started sub-speciality Orthopaedics for the first time in India. This department is well-known across India and the world. The equipment and facilities available for teaching, research and clinical work is state-of-the-art. Well-known teachers across the world and researchers form the core in the department. Their dedication and passion for towards Orthopaedics is exemplary.
- One of the busiest departments in the Kasturba Medical College hospital
- Runs 5 operation theatres every day, highest among all departments.
- The number of surgeries done in the Department of Orthopaedic is the highest in the hospital
- Many publications both in national and international journals every year
- State-of-the-art instruments, implants, facilities
- Department comprises of well-known teachers who regularly attend and teach at national and international courses and workshops
- Consultants in the department excel as faculty for national and international conferences
- Top students from the PG entrance exams take up orthopaedics
- Junior residents invariably excel in the state and national conferences, winning quizzes, best paper awards.
- Dedicated and qualified support team of nurses, technicians and paramedics make the working of the department smooth.
About the Area of Study
The word 'Orthopaedics' is derived from 'ortho' and 'paedia' which mean 'straight' and 'child', respectively. This branch of medicine was originally meant for the treatment of physical deformities in children. Over the years, it came to involve the treatment of musculoskeletal disorders limb re-constructive surgeries. A plethora of ailments come under this banner: trauma, musculoskeletal tumours, congenital deformities, sports injuries, degenerative disorders.