Manipal University > Institutions > Medicine > KMC Mangalore > Know KMC > History


History 


Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore, opened its doors in January 1955. During the initial years, the students pursued their pre-clinical training in Manipal followed by clinical training at Mangalore, as the state government allowed the use of its hospitals for the clinical training of its students. The Medical Council of India granted recognition to KMC Mangalore in 1958, with the first graduating class. Recognition by the General Medical Council of Great Britain and the Malaysian Medical Council followed soon. The College was first affiliated to Karnataka University and later in 1965 to Mysore University, followed by affiliation to Mangalore University in 1980. New courses, faculty research and student amenities have steadily developed over the years. The first College in the private self-financing sector, KMC ranks among the top 10 medical colleges in the country today. Students from 45 countries have graduated from KMC, and the degrees have been recognised worldwide. Post-graduate medical courses were started in the College in 1971. Today, the College offers P. G. Training facilities leading to 26 degrees and diplomas in medical sciences besides Ph. D. in 6 subjects, M. Sc (Medical) degrees in 5 subjects and also B.P.T., M.P.T., B.A.S.L.P., M.A.S.L.P. and M. Phil degrees. In response to the recommendations of the Medical Council of India and the local committees appointed by the Mysore University for the continuation of affiliation, facilities for teaching preclinical subjects were provided at Mangalore itself and the Mangalore section became an independent medical college in 1977. Later, in 1993 Manipal Academy of Higher Education, Manipal, of which KMC Mangalore is a unit, was conferred the Deemed University status.

KMC Mangalore campus is spread over 30.78 acres of land. The infrastructure facilities in the College are comparable with international standards. It accounts for eight, spacious air-conditioned lecture halls fitted with modern audio-visual teaching aids including multi-media projectors. KMC Central Library is a modern, fully air-conditioned library with a seating capacity of about 500, with internet facility. The library has over 36,025 books and 20,376 journals. Moreover, the library subscribes to more than 324 journals annually. In the year 2001, the Centre for Basic Sciences was started at Bejai for the first year students. Apart from the departments of Anatomy, Physiology and Biochemistry, there is also a big lecture hall with a capacity of 250, and a ladies hostel within the Basic Sciences Complex for first-year students. The students of Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore are accommodated in 10 hostels. Of these five are for ladies. Fully air-conditioned hostels for boys and girls are also available. There is also a Medical Education Unit which ensures that the faculty are trained in teaching and student evaluation methodologies. It helps the staff in keeping themselves abreast of the advances in teaching. It also conducts orientation programmes for students, interns and postgraduates.

The campus has ample facilities for sports and games including playgrounds for cricket, hockey, football and courts for tennis, basketball, badminton, and volleyball, a gym and an athletics track. Students can join clubs for music and fine arts, literature and debating and photography. Manipal Campus of our University also has a chapter of SPIC MACAY, which stages an annual festival, Virasat, presenting luminaries of Indian dance and music. Students are also encouraged to take part in inter-college, inter-university and national level competitions. On the academic side, a unique advantage for the students in Mangalore campus is that they have exposure to clinical studies in four different hospitals, two of which are run by the State Govt. KMC also helps students get over local language difficulty by arranging classes where they get a working knowledge of local languages and expressions which helps them during their clinical studies. There is also a Student-Teacher-Guardian Scheme in operation in addition to a Students’ Grievances Cell. By way of social service, students have also started a Drug Bank.

The following are the teaching hospitals of the College:

(1) Kasturba Medical College Hospital, Attavar, Mangalore
(2) Wenlock District Hospital, Mangalore
(3) Govt. Lady Goschen Hospital, Mangalore
(4) Kasturba Medical College Hospital, Ambedkar Circle, Mangalore

KMC Hospital, Attavar was established in 1992 and a KMC Hospital at Ambedkar Circle in 1997, which has a bed strength of 630 and 250 respectively, at present. Facilities at KMC Hospital include a Nephrology/ Dialysis unit, a Burns unit, Cardio-cath lab, C.T. and M.R.I. Centre, and Colour Doppler, besides one of the most modern Microbiology labs where we standardisation of PCR for Mycobacterium species and herpes simplex is conducted. The hospital also extends diagnostic services like Elisa and other techniques to the hospitals and various nursing homes in and around Mangalore. It has also introduced a new blood culture technique and Bact-alert.

The Kasturba Medical College, Mangalore has been utilising the Government District Hospitals at Mangalore through a Govt. order No. 3424 Health dated 20th December 1954. Wenlock District Hospital and Govt. Lady Goschen Hospital are the two government hospitals. The Super-Speciality doctors and services provided by KMC at the district hospitals include cardiology, Cardiothoracic Surgery, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Urology, Nephrology, Plastic Surgery & Paediatric Surgery. The KMC Laboratories provide free lab investigations to both the inpatients and outpatients of district hospitals. 24 hours post mortem services are provided by KMC doctors including night post mortems. Poor patients referred from govt. hospitals are provided free treatment by the KMC hospitals. KMC doctors also visit the Beggars Relief Colony & give free consultation to the inmates, and any of them requiring admission are given treatment at KMC Hospital, Attavar. Therefore, these district hospitals are a Tertiary Care Hospital, made possible by KMC doctors. An ultra-modern Convention Centre has come up over 4 acres of land namely, Dr TMA Pai International Convention Centre. An indoor sports complex has also been planned. Since its inception, this institution has contributed nearly 14,527 medical practitioners to the national pool of doctors and physicians and also to foreign countries including Malaysia, South Africa, U.K. and the U.S.