The incidence of poisoning in India is among the highest in the world and more than 50,000 people die every year from toxic exposure. To add to this, there is rampant use of substance of abuse amongst the younger generation. As Kasturba Medical College hospital is a main tertiary care referral hospital catering to a population of 130,000,000 across states of Karnataka, Kerala and Andhra Pradesh in southern part of India, we frequently get poisoning/drug abuse cases. In order to support diagnosis, early intervention and comprehensive care, Analytical toxicology wing was started on 20 March 2015. This wing was established in collaboration with department of Biochemistry, Forensic Medicine and toxicology and Pharmacy Practice. This center offers different panel of tests including- drug abuse panel; pesticide panel; alcohol panel; narcotic panel and heavy metal panel. This is helping in early detection and proper treatment of such cases.
1. Providing round the clock poison information to all doctors/public regarding any poisoning and management using Micromedex and Poisondex softwares.
2. Rapid analysis of suspected samples to help in timely intervention.
3. Organize awareness programs regarding safe handling and health effects of chemicals to farmers who are actively involved in farming.
4. To offer health check and screening for poisons including genetic studies to understand epigenetic changes on chronic exposure with public – private partnership with government of Karnataka.
5. Give medico legal assistance to police and public in cases of suicidal/ accidental and homicidal poisonings.